Tuesday, October 15, 2019

10.15.2019 Slide Rock State Park to the Grand Canyon

This morning after watching the balloons again float over the rocks I came back in from the patio to make breakfast for everyone.  I happened to notice something on the ceiling that had not been there before.  Upon further inspection I realized there was a tarantula on the ceiling!  After frantic cries, of "help, help, help" and Jamie reassuring me that it was fine I made a phone call to maintenance to remove it.  With one eye on the tarantula and one eye on the eggs I proceeded to make breakfast but when my back was turned it was gone!!!!  I started screaming for Jamie again and realized it moved quickly and was scrambling down the wall.  He grabbed a glass and paper and trapped it in the glass and took it outside.  It still makes my skin crawl even just typing this!  

As we were preparing to leave our hotel and were packing up I was quite edgy and jumpy!

I took the girls to the infinity hot tube and the view was really beautiful!  
We then drove to Slide Rock State Park.  The water was frigid but the girls didn't mind too much.  Algae forms on the rocks making it extraordinarily slippery and almost impossible to walk across.  This is very popular in the summer months!  





There are varying depths and also a current which can carry someone down the rocks.  Allie had a really scary experience where she slipped into a deeper part and lost her camera trying to get out.  I was near-by and grabbed her.  So thankful I was there!  She happened to be on a dry part and when she moved slightly she happened to slip off.  

On our way to the car, we saw another tarantula cross our path!

They changed and we were on our way to the Grand Canyon National Park.
We drove through the Coconino National Forest which was really stunning.

We arrived at the Visitor Center around 4 pm and walked to the edge.  There really are no words to describe seeing it for the first time!  It was truly just so vast and unbelievable.



Mather Point Ampitheater



We grabbed a visitor guide and of course Junior Ranger books for the girls and came out for another look.  Just stunning!


We stayed on site at the Yavapai Lodge.  We checked in and changed. I had made reservations at Tovar Hotel Restaurant that evening at sunset.  We were seated next to a big picture window with a view of the Grand Canyon beyond.  It was spectacular!  We all had a great meal.  The girls had chocolate tacos for dessert which didn't disappoint.  After dinner we went back to the lodge for bed!

No comments: