Sunday, August 12, 2007

It has been a very rainy week here in Tuebingen with the temperatures being unseasonably cool in the 60s. I know that all of you mid-westerners are jealous! No need for air conditioning here! Jamie had a neuro-surgery conference about 30 km from Tuebingen and so the girls and I have been doing our regular routine. The sun actually came out this weekend! Alot of you have had some questions on the prices of items here in Germany, so I have put together a little list for you! Some of the prices I have paid, have about put me into cardiac arrest...but I have to keep it in perspective.

You have to do a little math here...1 Euro = $1.33, so whatever the price is...multiply it by 1.33.

1 liter of milk is 0.55 E
1 container of yogurt 0.33E
1 loaf of bread 0.95
1.5 liters of apple juice 0.69 E
1 bottle (.5 liter) of beer 0.70 E
1 container of raspberries, blueberries...3 E
1 container of Bausch & Lomb contact solution 18 E (yes, I know...I had the unfortunate circumstance of Isabelle breaking my glasses the first week we were here---like I said I have to keep it in perspective!)
1 liter of gasoline 1.41 euro, diesel is 1.14 euro...multiply that by four to get about a gallon...and don't forget the conversion rate...I will NEVER complain about the price of gasoline again back in the U.S.

I personally have not purchased these items...due to the outrageous prices...but I found it interesting that our local supermarket was charging 4.99 E for Hershey's syrup, 1.69 E for a regular Hershey's chocolate bar, 2.69 E for a box of mac-in-cheese...(and it isn't even Kraft!).

We hope that everyone is doing well...and not melting due to the temperature and high heat index! Until my next post...Auf Wiedersehen!

1 comment:

Cavanahs said...

Okay, we now get a math class on converting prices. Yea, I would never complain about gas prices either if I paid what they do in Germany. No wonder so many people overseas use the public transportaion to get around.