Saturday, December 16, 2023

12.16.2023

This weekend I drove to see my dad in the hospital. He was very sick and at the time unable to talk but he looked at me, nodded and knew I was there.  I said, "I love you dad" and he nodded his head and then I said, "I know you would say, I love you more" and he opened his eyes bigger and nodded more vigorously.  I tried to memorize the color of his light blue eyes, the bluebird color of the most brightest of skies. 

I knew in the deepest of my heart that this would most likely be the last time I held his hand.

It was.

He passed in the early morning on December 20th with my mom by his side.

We are going to miss you so much. Thank you for being a wonderful grandpa to my girls and giving them experiences on the farm.  Thank you for being a good dad in the way you knew how. Growing older has given me much reflection on my younger years when you were doing your best.  

I want to include a few pictures of him in his younger years.



Johnson Co fairgrounds

Dad and daughter dance at my wedding.

In Oklahoma

Family gathering with my Grandpa and Bubbi.  I am being held by my Dad.  

Edward, Elizabeth, Jim, Bonnie, Donald and Nancy

A throwback picture of 6 of 8 kids.

A family photo

Grandpa raised dairy cattle for many years with his Dad on their family farm.

Jim, Nancy and Bonnie

Elizabeth and Edward

Grandpa's parents

As a young boy

A proud farmer

Graduation from University of Iowa Nursing School.

Wedding day

3 generations

Raised sheep for many years

An avid coon hunter 

His senior picture


 

No comments: