Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Bubbi


Not quite 2 weeks ago my Grandma Koss (affectionately known as Bubbi to us) passed away. She was an amazing woman in so many ways. At the young age of 38 she had a massive stroke which left her paralyzed on her right side and aphasic in speech (she knew what she wanted to say, but just couldn't get the words out). She lost her husband 30 years ago and lived by herself on the family farm until about 8 years ago, battled throat cancer and lived, she was a survivor!!!!! And she had an unshakable faith, an unmistakable laugh and an unstoppable will to do whatever she wanted to do. My aunt said that she could do more with one arm then most could do with two! There are soooo many memories when I was growing up that are so distinctly Bubbi, the smell of her air conditioner, the rough scratchy feel of her carpet when I had to take a nap, the 7up, Schwanns sundae cups, chocolate, boxelder bugs that covered the front of her house, dollars, tiny candy canes at Christmas, getting a birthday card weeks before the actual day, the leather purse, the smooth worn out cotton dresses that she wore and bobby pins in her hair. We were so blessed to have her as our grandmother and could learn so much about having strength when faced with disability, being such a believer in God when she could just have given up faith, and all the things that she probably wanted to say...but just couldn't.

Being in my mid 30s now, I thought about how I would react to such a catastrophic life event. I don't know if I could have handled it with the poise and dignity and faith that my Grandma did! She lived life one day at a time for 89 years. Amazing.

No comments: